Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Not What I Meant

In my Law & Society class we were just asked to give an example of an archetypal "cultural conflict"-type law, and I responded by mentioning the issues of gay marriage and contraception, which have been in the news lately. My professor's interpretation of how the contraception issue fits into that framework was that the Catholic institutions were claiming that a majority ideology they don't endorse was being imposed on them. That's not what I meant. The anti-contraception types are trying to impose their (very, very minority) ideology on everyone else. I suppose you can see it either way, depending on whom you're sympathetic to, but given how few people actually have an objection to contraception I think it's hard to really endorse the Church's claims that it's being victimized here.

No comments:

Post a Comment