Sunday, July 31, 2011

Super Congress: Still Not Super, Still Not a Congress

Apparently some sort of "super Congress" will be involved in this debt ceiling deal. Eh. It's still not super, and oh boy is it ever still not a congress. It sounds kind of like the same thing as the Bowles-Simpson committee, a bipartisan commission tasked with creating a deficit-reduction plan that would receive an automatic vote in Congress. How'd that work out? Oh yeah, didn't think so...

More broadly, from what I'm hearing from Obama this deal doesn't sound as awful as I had thought it might be. I'm not sure I'll stick by that assessment as I hear more of what's actually in it, but that's my current impression. Especially if he can use it to pivot back to boosting the economy, or something, as he said in the last line of his press conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment