Sunday, July 6, 2014

Your 2014 All-Stars

So they're announcing the selections to the 2014 All-Star Game right now. I just thought I'd briefly say how I'd set the starting lineups if I were managing for both sides (which would, in fairness, be rather weird). First, the AL:

Mike Trout, CF (R)
Robinson Cano, 2B (L)
Miguel Cabrera, 1B (R)
Jose Bautista, RF (R)
Nelson Cruz, DH (R)
Adam Jones, LF (R)
Josh Donaldson, 3B (R)
Salvador Perez, C (R)
Derek Jeter, SS (R)

Now the NL:

Carlos Gomez, CF (R)
Andrew McCutchen, LF (R)
Troy Tulowitzki, SS (R)
Giancarlo Stanton, DH (R)
Paul Goldschmidt, 1B (R)
Yasiel Puig, RF (R)
Aramis Ramirez, 3B (R)
Chase Utley, 2B (L)
Yadier Molina, C (R)

A few notes. Good god those are some super right-handed lineups. Honestly I could basically flip-flip Gomez and McCutchen, either in the outfield or in the lineup, though I'm probably more committed to putting Gomez in center field. You could move Puig to more around the top of the batting order, which is where he's mostly been hitting for the Dodgers, but with Gomez and McCutchen it's not like they're starved for leadoff hitters so I've got him hitting sixth. It's not like he doesn't have the power for an RBI spot, heh. I'm assuming that Stanton is the DH because, well... he's Giancarlo Stanton. And as for the AL... look, I know Derek Jeter isn't going to be batting ninth. He'll probably hit second. Or first. But he should be hitting ninth. As sort of a lesser-included-case of how he shouldn't be in the game at all. He's a below-average player. He's a below-average hitter. Fangraphs has him at 0.5 WAR, but that's giving him a bizarrely large amount of credit for his defensive work, which I don't buy. For all that they're gonna be going on and on about him, he's not a good player anymore, and if they've got to start him, they should at least bury him in the 9-hole.

Also, Kershaw's gotta start for the NL, there's no question there. And King Felix looks like he's been just clearly the best pitcher in the AL, so I'd go with him as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment