Friday, June 17, 2011

Everybody's Covered

I just heard ESPN announcer Chris Berman say something like the following in the closing stretches of today's US Open coverage: "If you look behind 16 there's both a chapel and a temple, so everybody's covered." Strikingly, to me at least, he said that while the cameras were on Y.E. Yang. Now, I don't know what Yang's religious inclinations are, but his being Asian I think it's rather possible that he's neither Christian nor Jewish. I just think it's kind of weird to make a sweeping statement like that. Over 60% of the world is neither Christian nor Jewish, and with golf increasingly becoming a global game with championship players who aren't Western European in ethnic origin there are probably a lot of non-Judeo-Christians in this field. Hell, Tiger Woods is a Buddhist if anything.

Anyway, not a big deal, but it struck me as kind of odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment