Friday, September 7, 2012

"Supposed" by Whom?

It's been a while since one has had to think about her, fortunately, but this line from some recent comment from Sarah Palin caught my eye. Apparently John Kerry's convention speech last night took a dig at her, and she responded by asking:
How does he even know my name? I mean aren’t these guys supposed to be these big wig elites who don’t waste their time on the little people like me...
 Now, one could just stop and marvel at the silliness of this quote. She may have forgotten, lord knows the rest of us have tried to, but four years ago most people in this country kind of knew her name. But I'd like to seize on the words "supposed to." According to whom? Okay, sure, in Sarah Palin's worldview people like John Kerry fall into that category. Odd for her to say, out loud, "hey, wait, this piece of evidence conflicts with what my worldview tells me!", though. So... does she think that Kerry goes around telling people that he's a big wig elite who doesn't waste his time on little people? It's pretty rare for people to say that about themselves, I think.

This sort of reminds me of the common conservative judicial habit of reading liberal jurists' disagreements with conservative jurisprudence as a deliberate abandonment of the task of interpreting the law honestly, and a substitution for that task of simply making stuff up. Maybe that's how it looks to you, but that's really not how we like to think of ourselves. That's not what we think we're doing, that's not what we think we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment