Monday, March 7, 2011

If I Were Terry Collins...

Based on what I've seen to this point in Spring Training, here are the players I would like to see on the Mets' Opening Day roster:

Starting Position Players:

Josh Thole (C), Ike Davis (1B), Daniel Murphy (2B), Jose Reyes (SS), David Wright (3B), Jason Bay (LF), Angel Pagan (CF), Carlos Beltran (RF)

Not a whole lot of suspense here except at second base. I think it's pretty clear that Murphy has the best bat of the four competing for the job, which includes him along with Castillo, Emaus, and Turner. In his appearances at second base so far, he's looked perfectly competent. Until or unless I saw something seriously problematic in his defense, I'd consider it his spot.

Starting Pitchers:

Mike Pelfrey (RHP), Jon Niese (LHP), R.A. Dickey (RHP), Chris Young (RHP), Chris Capuano (LHP)

Again, no surprises. The idea of kicking, say, Capuano off for Oliver Perez is laughable, I'm sorry. When/if Santana returns, I'd say Capuano should be either traded or moved to the bullpen if that seems appropriate.



Bench Players:

Mike Nickeas (C), Brad Emaus (2B/3B), Luis Hernandez (2B/SS), Scott Hairston (LF/CF/RF), Lucas Duda (LF/RF/1B)

I think it's basically settled that Nickeas will be the Opening Day backup catcher, what with Ronny Paulino's visa issues. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see any particular reason he shouldn't stick in that spot if he shows he's going well and Paulino doesn't give any reason to change that arrangement. I would see Thole and Nickeas as more or less a platoon. Likewise I'd consider Emaus in platoon with Murphy at second base; he would also be able to give David Wright the occasional day off, and hey, it's use him or lose him. Luis Hernandez gets the middle-infielder job mainly because he's a switch-hitter and I don't think there's a whole lot else distinguishing him or Chin-lung Hu. Hairston looks like he can flat-out hit, and the ability to play center field is damn useful. Likewise, Duda has some serious power, and would be the main left-handed pinch hitter who could also give Ike Davis a day off or two.

Bullpen:

Francisco Rodriguez (RHP), Jason Isringhausen (RHP), Bobby Parnell (RHP), D.J. Carrasco (RHP), Tim Byrdak (LHP), Taylor Buchholz (RHP), Ryota Igarashi (RHP)

K-Rod's obvious. Carrasco and Buchholz have Major League deals, I think, and have shown themselves to be reliable middle relievers. Isringhausen looks good, flashed a nasty curveball today, and as the announcers were saying certainly has the mental ability to handle any kind of pressure situation. Byrdak honestly looks a lot better to me than Taylor Tankersly, who's been sucking; Mike O'Connor looks good, but he's still quite young, and as to Oliver Perez, well, don't let's go there. Parnell is, I think, this team's future closer, and Ron Darling was raving today about how he was showing he's making the transition from thrower to pitcher. Finally there's basically one remaining spot, and I think it should go to Igarashi. I've always been a fan of Ryota's, and not just because he's Japanese. Today he pitched for the second day in a row, and, uh, struck out the side. Looked pretty dominating while doing it, too, though I guess it's hard not to look good when you're striking out the side. Who are our other options here? Manny Acosta? Pedro Beato? Boof Bonser? (Sorry, awesome name, but I like Igarashi's name just as well.) Manny Alvarez? Blaine Boyer? Why would we prefer any of these guys to Igarashi? Ryota has a track record as a closer, and while he did suck quite badly last year, I don't think that's a reason to discount it if he continues to look like he's playing well.

The nice thing about this team offensively is its ability to be very flexible with respect to handedness. A Reyes/Pagan/Wright/Beltran/Bay/Davis/Emaus/Nickeas lineup has just one lefty, Ike, while a Reyes/Pagan/Wright/Beltran/Davis/Bay/Murphy/Thole lineup has just two righties, Wright and Bay. That's what three switch-hitters at the top of the order does for you.

Three particular players would spend the season in Triple-A, barring an unforeseen circumstance: Ruben Tejada, Jenrry Mejia, and Fernando Martinez. For Mejia, well, I want him in the starting rotation in the majors next year. For Tejada, personally I hope he's the second baseman next year, and if the Mets are idiots and get rid of Reyes then they'd better put Tejada at shortstop. With Martinez the hope is that he'll stay healthy all year, which would give the Mets two options: a) use him as the successor to Carlos Beltran in right field next year, or b) trade him, and hope to get some sort of name right-fielder.

So that's what I would do, or what I'm hoping ends up happening. Honestly I'm fairly optimistic about Murphy, Isringhausen, and Parnell all making the team. The bench, honestly, I don't care that much, and I'd love it if they found some way for Nick Evans to make the team but I don't really see it. And I think it's a bit of a long-shot for Igarashi to make the team, but hey, if he keeps striking out the side, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment